Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This comes from a Heart healthy cookbook distributed from our local hospital. While this is somewhat different from your normal stew recipe, it is equally as good.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots
- 20 ounces lean top round roast
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 medium potatoes, without skin
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 28 ounces low-sodium tomatoes
- 3⁄4 medium onion
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- nonstick cooking spray
- Coat a 4 quart pot with cooking spray and heat over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Cut roast into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Season with the pepper.
- add to pot and brown for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic ,crushed tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and beef broth to the pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer and add diced celery,carrots, mushrooms,and green beans.
- Cover and simmer until tender about 45 minutes.
- Dice peeled potatoes and add to pot.
- Add more water if needed.
- Simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.
I didn't have any beef broth, so I used water and a red wine. I followed everything else exactly. It was the best beef stew I've ever had. I am not a fan of stew, but this one I will make again. My husband also loved it.
Awesome favour. I increased the meat & garlic & added some finely chopped jalapeno pepper & radishes. I help blend the flavours abit more, I added a dash of garlic peppercorn spice at the end. We like our stew thick so I added some tomato paste & flour when the potatoes were added. Worked out great & the cooking time is band on, thanks for sharing.
I've been married almost 15 years & have a family of 5 and this is the first Beef Stew I have ever made. It was awesome. Everyone loved it. Instead of top round roast I used extra lean beef stew meat. This is definitely a keeper. Very healthy & low in calories. Yummy!!!