This comes from a Heart healthy cookbook distributed from our local hospital. While this is somewhat different from your normal stew recipe, it is equally as good.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 stalks celery
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium carrots
- 20 ounces lean top round roast
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 medium potatoes, without skin
- 2 cups low sodium beef broth
- 28 ounces low-sodium tomatoes
- 3⁄4 medium onion
- 1⁄2 lb mushroom, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- nonstick cooking spray
- Coat a 4 quart pot with cooking spray and heat over moderate heat for 1 minute.
- Cut roast into 1 1/2 inch cubes.
- Season with the pepper.
- add to pot and brown for 4 - 5 minutes.
- Add the onion, garlic ,crushed tomatoes, worcestershire sauce and beef broth to the pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Turn heat down to simmer and add diced celery,carrots, mushrooms,and green beans.
- Cover and simmer until tender about 45 minutes.
- Dice peeled potatoes and add to pot.
- Add more water if needed.
- Simmer until tender, about 45 minutes.