Recipe by CarenG10
Simple, healthy and delicious combo of tuna and pasta.
Top Review by flower7
This is very tasty! Once I got the amount of salt to suit my tastebuds, I was surprised at all the different layers of flavors. I went to two stores and they had all the other piccolini mini pastas except the wheels, so I used piccolini farfalle. In the finished salad, instead of dried parsley and onion, I used fresh parsley and green onion (I did use the dried while cooking the pasta). I also added a splash of white wine vinegar, which really brightened the flavors. Oh, I didn't bother with cooling the pasta too much, it cooled well enough once it was mixed in with the other ingredients. I'm really enjoying this now and I think it might be even better after chilling. Will make again! Thanks for sharing!
- half of a 1 lb. box barilla piccolini pasta, mini wheels
- extra virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 141.74 g canbumble bee prime filet solid albacore tuna
- 7.39 ml parsley flakes
- dried onion flakes, to taste
- sea salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 1 finely grated carrot
- 1 of a small tomatoes, finely chopped
Directions See How It's Made
- Add pasta, 1 tspn. parsley flakes, dried onion (vary amount depending on how much you like onions), sea salt and pepper to a pot of water large enough to cook and stir all ingredients. Bring to a boil and then cook 8 minutes (al dente') or 10 minutes (soft). Drain in colander and rinse with cold water to chill down the pasta. It is not necessary to remove onion/parsley bits. Return to pot after thoroughly drained. Drizzle with EVOO and stir to coat all pasta, then place pot in refrigerator until completely cooled. To quicken the process place in freezer but keep an eye on it to make sure it's not freezing.
- Drain tuna, place in a small bowl and mash with a fork until it's of uniform consistency. Add a small amount of EVOO, remaining parsley flakes, minced onion to taste, salt & pepper to taste. Blend well. When pasta has completely cooled, add tuna mixture, carrot and tomato to pot and blend well. Taste and add EVOO/seasonings as desired.