1/1 Photo of Healthy Low-Fat Banana French Toast
I Can't Believe It's Healthy's Note:
Mmm what a great french toast! I go wild when I cook sometimes, and this is definitely one of my experiments that worked for the better! Its good-for-you and good-for-your-taste-buds! This is softer then your classic french toast, but the yummy flavors are just too good to resist!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 egg whites (or 1 egg)
- 1/4 cup mashed ripe banana (about 1/2 a large banana)
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 1/2 teaspoons melted reduced fat margarine (non-hydrogenated)
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/4 teaspoon banana extract (banana flavour)
- 3 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 -6 slices whole wheat bread, best if stale (Amount depends on how thick your bread is or how much you let it absorb. I use 6 pcs sandwich bread.)
- 1Preheat a greased griddle or frying pan (not too hot or they will burn before they cook).
- 2Puree (in a food processor, blender, or smoothie maker) the mashed banana, milk, vanilla, and banana flavour until the banana is completely smooth with no lumps. Add melted margarine and egg whites and pulse until completely incorporated.
- 3Sift the next 3 ingredients (flour through cinnamon) in a small bowl.
- 4Transfer wet ingredients into a larger bowl, and whisk dry ingredients into wets, and ignore small flour lumps.
- 5NOTE: Be sure to whisk batter before dipping each batch of toast. Also, dont add any extra banana or milk to the batter (it will result in soggy toast).
- 6Dip each side of the toast in the batter for a couple of seconds, and allow some of the excess batter to drip off. (for the last piece of bread you will likely have to swab up the remaining batter. Don't worry if the toast tears, just stick it back together on the frying pan).
- 7Cook each side just over a minute, or until browned to your desired colour.
- 8Serve with lots of maple syrup. Refrigerate the leftovers and put them in the toaster the next day. OR cool on a cooking cooling rack, and when completely cool, wrap in foil and freeze. Warm in microwave then toast and enjoy!
Browse Our Top Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Pancakes and Waffles Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Healthy Low-Fat Banana French Toast
Serving Size: 1 (124 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 251.7
- Calories from Fat 38
- Total Fat 4.2 g
- Saturated Fat 0.9 g
- Cholesterol 1.2 mg
- Sodium 566.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 42.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 6.0 g
- Sugars 5.8 g
- Protein 13.2 g