Recipe by frugalfeline
I searched and searched and couldn't find a recipe with all the ingredients I wanted to use so I edited a bunch together and came up with this! Incredibly moist and yummy- the crunchy topping cannot be left out, it would be criminal. (If you don't have buckwheat flour just sub another cup of whole wheat flour) My 2 1/2 year old son LOVES these!
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup ground flax seed
- 1⁄2 cup wheat germ
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 eggs (with yolks)
- 1 egg white
- 3 large bananas, mashed (the blacker the better!)
- 1⁄2 cup applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup vanilla Greek yogurt
- 1⁄2 cup honey
- 24 almonds, crushed
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- For the Topping: In a small saucepan, combine crushed almonds and brown sugar, on medium-low heat stir gently until it melts together and becomes crunchy.
- Stir together dry ingredients.
- Mash bananas, add all wet ingredients and mix wet ingredients together.
- Add dry ingredients to wet, do not over-mix, just fold them together.
- Spoon batter into 24 muffin cups and equally distribute the topping on each muffin.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes, or until muffins are golden brown and test done.
- Remove from oven, take muffins out of tin and cool on a rack.