Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
Found this in BH&G. Very easy and quick to make. I love this recipe (husband always begs for it), but it might not be to everyone's taste because of the whole wheat flour, plus its not your typical heavy fudge brownie its more cake like, which I prefer. I use only 3/4 cup of sugar (I try to cut calories wherever I can) but I do add more walnuts, can't help it. I sprinkle a little bit of cayenne pepper on top of the batter before baking, its very subtle and goes with the chocolate.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2⁄3 cup whole wheat flour or 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
- In a medium saucepan melt butter and unsweetened chocolate over low heat, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, cool.
- Preheat over to 350 degrees F. Meanwhile, grease an 8x8x2-inch or 9x9x2-inch pan; set aside. Stir sugar into cooled chocolate mixture in saucepan. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating with a wooden spoon just until combined. Stir in vanilla.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together the flour and baking soda. Add flour mixture to chocolate mixture; stir just until combined. If desired, stir in nuts. Spread batter in the prepared pan.
- Bake in a 350 oven for 30 minutes for 8-inch pan or 25 minutes for 9-inch pan. Cool on wire rack. Cut into 16 squares.