Note: I haven't yet tried these toasting the first 3 ingrediants, but I thought judging by my last batch it would add crisp. These are yummy granola bars, and not like the expensive ones you buy at the store! Inexpensive, quick, and healthy= Perfect!
- 1⁄3 cup oats
- 2⁄3 cup Rice Krispies
- 1 -2 tablespoon chopped walnuts (optional)
- 3 tablespoons cocoa
- 3 tablespoons finely chopped crunchy dried bananas (banana chips)
- 1 1⁄2-2 tablespoons semi-sweet chocolate chips, mini kind (or to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon smooth peanut butter
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons skim milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a loaf pan.
- In a large frying pan on medium heat, Toast the oats, rice krispies, and walnuts (if using), one ingrediant at a time, until darker in colour and pungent. Remove from heat.
- Combine oats, cereal, banana chips, chocolate chips, walnuts, cocoa, and salt in a large bowl.
- Combine peanut putter, vanilla, skim milk and sugar in a small bowl and microwave for 25 seconds then stir again until smooth, adding in the egg white.
- Stir liquid mixture into dry mixture until dry ingredients are evenly moistened.
- Firmly firmly firmly press mixture in prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes until firm. Remove from oven, alow to completly cool, and refrigerate for a couple of hours (or overnight). Take out and serve at room temperature.