121 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 15 mins
John DOH's Note:
this recipe was "published" 20 years ago in a small Mennonite community in Saskatchewan for a Church cookbook. Still, it makes up a great "crackers and meat" hors d'ourve and gives us some clue as to true "Heritage" cooking! In my DS's family, this was a staple at Christmas and New Years and so I have to share it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Clean pork head, removing bristles, ears and eyes, jaws and bones of nose.
- 2Cook with hocks, tongue, heart and beef.
- 3Cook rinds in a sepatate container.
- 4When well done, remove meat from bones and grind all through a fine plate.
- 5Mis very well and add some salt and pepper with meat juice to make a good mix.
- 6Place the ground results in a cheesecloth bag and top with a heavy weight to press out the "extra" fat.
- 7When cold, cut in large slices, and make a mix of 2 cups of water and one cup vinegar, bring to a boil, then cool and pour over meat, letting stand in a crock pot for 5 days or until fully soaked through.
- 8Serve with raw onion and vinegar for dinner, or herat and serve with fried potato -- .
Browse Our Top Pork Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Head Cheese
Serving Size: 1 (75 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 162.5
- Calories from Fat 102
- Total Fat 11.3 g
- Saturated Fat 4.4 g
- Cholesterol 51.4 mg
- Sodium 49.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 0.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.0 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 14.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: