Prep 1 hr 15 mins
Cook 120 hrs
this recipe was "published" 20 years ago in a small Mennonite community in Saskatchewan for a Church cookbook. Still, it makes up a great "crackers and meat" hors d'ourve and gives us some clue as to true "Heritage" cooking! In my DS's family, this was a staple at Christmas and New Years and so I have to share it!
- Clean pork head, removing bristles, ears and eyes, jaws and bones of nose.
- Cook with hocks, tongue, heart and beef.
- Cook rinds in a sepatate container.
- When well done, remove meat from bones and grind all through a fine plate.
- Mis very well and add some salt and pepper with meat juice to make a good mix.
- Place the ground results in a cheesecloth bag and top with a heavy weight to press out the "extra" fat.
- When cold, cut in large slices, and make a mix of 2 cups of water and one cup vinegar, bring to a boil, then cool and pour over meat, letting stand in a crock pot for 5 days or until fully soaked through.
- Serve with raw onion and vinegar for dinner, or herat and serve with fried potato -- .