Prep 30 mins
Cook 40 mins
This can be a little time consuming, but well worth the effort.
- 6 eggs, separated
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄3 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup ground hazelnuts
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Beat egg white in a large bowl, until soft peaks form.
- Slowly beat in 1/4 cup sugar till stiff peaks form.
- In small mixing bowl beat egg yolks with 1/2 cup sugar until thick. Add breadcrumbs, flour and 2/3 cup hazelnuts.
- Carefully fold yolk mixture into the egg whites.
- Spread in a 10x2-inch springform pan.
- Bake 40-50 minutes, or until cake springs back when touched lightly.
- Place on wire rack to cool.
- Beat whipping cream with 1 tbsp sugar and vanilla.
- Take cake out of pan and cut it horizontally, into 2 layers.
- Place one layer on serving platter and frost with 1/3rd of the whipped cream.
- Top with the second layer and frost it with another 3rd of the whipped cream.
- Frost sides of torte with half of the remaining whipped cream, and carefully press remaining ground hazelnuts into the sides.
- Decorate top of torte with remaining whipped cream, using a pastry bag.
Easy to make. It came out very light and fluffy. I didn't have quite enough whipped cream. Also, would be great served with some fresh berries on the side.