Recipe by GothicGranola
From 'A Taste of Hawaii' cookbook. I want to make this for my mother one day because she loves crab cakes.
- 4 cups lump crabmeat
- 4 eggs
- cayenne pepper
- 8 teaspoons minced fresh coriander
- 4 teaspoons chopped red bell peppers
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- 4 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 -3 cups fresh breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
Papaya Basil Sauce
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium ripe papaya, diced
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 limes, juice of
- 4 sprigs fresh basil
Directions See How It's Made
- For crab cakes:.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the crab meat, eggs, salt, cayenne pepper, coriander, red pepper, garlic, and ginger. Blend well.
- Form the mixture by hand into 8 cakes. Place the bread crumbs on a planted and dip the crab cakes into the crumbs until well-coated.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet and when hot add the crab cakes and saute until the cakes are golden on both sides, about 2 minutes.
- To serve pour sauce on a plate and top with the crab cakes.
- For the Papaya-Basil Sauce:.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the wine, papaya, and shallot. Reduce the liquid by two-thirds, then add teh cream and reduce again by two-thirds. Slowly whisk in the butter, piece by piece, melting one before incorporating another. Season with salt, pepper, ginger, and lime juice. Put the mixture into a blender and blend until the ingredients are well combined.
- Pour the sauce into a bowl and add the basil. Allow it to infuse for at least 20 minutes before serving.