- 2 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 1⁄2 cups brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (I use Macademia nuts)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup coconut, shredded
Directions See How It's Made
- Sift together flour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add and mix until crumbly the brown sugar and shortening.
- Reserve 3/4 cup of this mixture.
- Add the chopped nuts, baking sode and buttermilk.
- Mix enough to blend.
- Bake in greased 8x8x2 pan.
- Sprinkle with reserved 3/4 cup sugar-shortening crumb mixture and cover lavishly with coconut.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven for 50 minutes or finger test for doneness.