Recipe by Manami
"Hawaii may not be your vacation destination this year, but don't worry. This sandwich brings the flacors of the islands to your table." Cuisine at Home eRECIPES.
- 5 slices thick-sliced bacon, diced
- 1 1⁄2 French baguettes (36 inches total)
- 6 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- kosher salt, to taste
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 -2 pinch crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄4 cups packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄2 cup packed fresh mint leaves
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1⁄2 a lime, juice of
- 3⁄4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 3 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1⁄2 cup chopped macadamia nuts
- 1 cup fresh baby spinach leaves
- 1 tablespoon oil-and-vinegar salad dressing
- 1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
- 1 tablespoon minced jalapeno pepper
- 1⁄4 cup minced red bell pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat broiler to high with rack 6 inches from the element.
- Sauté bacon in a skillet over medium heat until crisp, 8–10 minutes; drain bacon on a paper-towel-lined plate.
- Prepare baguettes by slicing top third off and removing bread inside; set aside for another use.
- Cut whole baguette into 4 equal portions and half baguette into 2 portions.
- Brush each piece with 1 tablespoons oil, season with salt and pepper, and broil on a baking sheet until toasted, 2–3 minutes.
- Process cilantro, mint, gingerroot, and lime juice in food processor until minced; add mayonnaise and yogurt; pulse to combine.
- Season mixture with salt, pepper & crushed red pepper flakes.
- Combine chicken, nuts, and bacon with cilantro mixture; set aside.
- Toss spinach with salad dressing; stir pineapple and jalapeno together in a bowl.
- TO ASSEMBLE THE SANDWICHES:.
- Divide spinach among baguettes; top ech with 1/2 cup chicken salad and 2–3 tablespoons pineapple mixture.
- Garnish sandwiches with bell pepper.