Prep 2 hrs
Cook 40 mins
Sweet, sticky, and tangy.
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 6 tablespoons brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2⁄3 cup cooking sherry
- 2 teaspoons Chinese five spice powder
- 3 teaspoons minced fresh ginger
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh garlic
- 4 -6 lbs beef short ribs
- In a small saucepan combine first 8 ingredients. Cook over meium heat to dissolve the sugar, but do not boil. Remove from heat and let cool.
- To marinade, place the meat in a container and pour the sauce over the meat. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours rotating the meat occasionally.
- Remove the ribs from the marinade and reserve the marinade in a saucepan. Bring the marinade to a boil, turn off and set aside.
- Place the ribs on the grill (low heat) and sear for 8 minutes on each side.
- Baste the ribs with the marinade after each turn. Cook for 5 minutes then turn and baste the second side.
- Continue turning and basting every 5 minutes until the ribs are done, 25-30 minutes. The meat should be slightly pink on the inside and crusty brown on the outside.