Recipe by Dib's
Had these the other night-WOW-this one's going into the Christmas basket. Serve over vanilla ice cream or frozen banana yogurt or pound cake.
Top Review by Audra
The combination of the ginger and the bananas was a little weird. I had 5 people try it, and none thought that it was horrible, but all agreed that it tasted like bananas trying to be apples (ie, the spices were more suited for a apple recipe). If you like the combination of bananas and ginger, you might like this recipe. I definitly will not make it again though.
- 12 slightly green bananas
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh lime juice
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 2 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 6 teaspoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 6 cinnamon sticks (1 to 1 1/2 inch)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh grated nutmeg
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine all ingredients in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.
- Peel and slice bananas in 1 inch chunks and add to boiling syrup-all at once.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes-stirring very gently.
- Ladle into sterilized jars.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at altitudes up to 1000 feet.