Prep 0 mins
Cook 6 mins
You can use any fruit spread or preserves you wish on this sandwich: raspberry, peach, huckleberry, etc. "This semisoft Danish cheese was created in the 19th century by cheese maker Hanne Nielsen, who studied European methods and then developed this cheese on HER farm in Denmark". (Source: truestarhealth.com) Recipe from Delicious Living.
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter, softened
- 8 slices French bread, cut into 1/4-inch slices (I used whole wheat French)
- 4 tablespoons fig fruit spread or 4 tablespoons preserves
- 4 ounces havarti cheese, sliced
- 1 large avocado, sliced
- fresh mint leaves, chopped (my addition)
- lemon juice
- cracked black pepper
- Heat a large non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Butter 4 bread slices on one side only.
- Put the slices, buttered side down on a clean plate. Spread the fig preserves in a thin layer on EACH side of the bread slices.
- Top with the Havarti chesse. Immediately after slicing up the avocado, drizzle with lemon juice to stop browning. Place a layer of avocado slices on the bread. Garnish with a few mint leaves and black pepper. Put the other slice of bread on top. Butter the tops.
- Place 2 sandwiches in the pan and cook until golden brown and the Havarti cheese has started to melt, about 2-3 minutes.
- Flip the sandwiches over and lightly press down with a spatula. Cook the other side until brown. Transfer to warming plate and cook the other two sandwiches.
- Serve hot. Really delicious served with slices of tart green apples!