Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a super easy and delicious soup from a restaurant called The Market Place. Using precooked or leftover bacon is a time-saver. I use light sour cream and light Velveeta for less fat content. Note that butter is optional, but sour cream a must. Enjoy!
- 1 (32 ounce) package frozen hash brown potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 6 ounces sour cream
- 1⁄2 lb Velveeta cheese, cut in small cubes
- garlic powder
- 4 slices bacon, cooked crisp and crumbled
- Place potatoes and onion in large pan and barely cover with water.
- Cook until potatoes are tender; do not drain.
- Mash with potato masher to desired consistency.
- Add butter, if using, sour cream, velveeta, salt & pepper, and garlic powder.
- Heat until cheese is melted - do not boil.
- If mixture is too thick, add milk to desired soupy consistency.
- Serve with crumbled bacon on top of each serving. Great with a thick, hearty bread!
Great "shortcut" recipe for a wonderfully thick and cheesey potato soup. I did add the optional butter and I used cheddar cheese instead of Velveeta. Used my hand-held immersion blender instead of a masher. I garnished with chives and the bacon. I'll make this again. Thanx!
This was very good! I followed it exactly, except I only had 26 oz. of hashbrowns. It was still delicious! And I sprinkled a mexican cheese blend on top along with the bacon. We will definately have this again!!
This is a wonderful soup for cold winter days. Very filling!