Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Yes, I know there are already many ratatouille recipes out there. This is my version, I happen to love it. Try it if you like :) This came from a "Vegetarian Times" magazine, October 1999 issue.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 small eggplants, cut into 3/4-inch cubes (1 1/4lbs - 6 cups)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons coarse salt
- 2 medium onions, halved and thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cut into thin strips
- 3 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 medium zucchini, quartered lengthwise and cut into 3/4-inch chunks (1lb)
- 2 cups canned crushed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, freshly ground
- 1⁄4 cup fresh basil, shredded
- Place eggplant cubes in a colander in sink.
- Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt and toss to mix.
- Let stand 5 minutes, then rinse under cold running water.
- Drain well.
- Pat dry with paper towels.
- In non-stick Dutch oven or large, wide saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat.
- Add eggplant to cook, stirring occasionally, until golden at edges and beginning to soften, 6-7 minutes.
- Add onions, bell pepper, and garlic.
- Cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly golden and beginning to soften, about 5 minutes.
- Add zucchini and cook 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Stir in tomatoes, 1/2 cup of water, pepper, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer briskly until vegetables are tender and sauce has thickened slightly - about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in basil.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
This is just what I was looking for! I did change a few things though. I used fresh tomatoes that I peeled and I added ingredients in stages. I browned the eggplant and removed it and then caramelized the onions and added the peppers and garlic in and cooked for a few minutes. I added the tomatoes and zucchini and cooked for a couple of minutes and added in the eggplant and cooked for about 7 more minutes
Very similar to the way I make my ratatouille except I just throw the eggplant, zucc, bell peppers onion and garlic in together. Your method has resulted in a better finished dish, so I'm going to take more care from now on. I had to use green bell pepper and added another cup of tomato because my eggplant and zucc were bigger than you probably allowed for, otherwise I followed your recipe. Thanks for posting!