Recipe by Romany The Cat
Very yummy. The original had dried beans that needed cooking, will never do that when canned are available. Nice on a winters night.
- 1 (14 ounce) can haricot beans
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 sweet red pepper, chopped
- 500 -600 g stewing mutton, cubed
- 1 tablespoon flour, about
- 600 ml good stock
- salt and pepper
- 3 potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in large saucepan and fry onions, capsicum and meat.
- Stir in flour and cook gently for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Gradually add stock.
- Bring to the boil, stirring well until it thickens slightly.
- Add drained beans and seasonings.
- Cover and simmer for about 2 hours.
- Slice potatoes and place in a layer on the stew.
- Season, then cover and simmer for a further 25 minutes or until potatoes are cooked.
- To serve gently lift out potatoes and place on plate, spoon stew over the top.