Prep 5 mins
Cook 30 mins
I just made this on a whim...why I have no idea but it was awesome and you can't tell a difference from the boxed stuff *yuck* It's soooo much cheaper to make it from scratch! I use Penzey's Taco seasoning but they advertise Old El Paso on the box so I assume that's what they use (could also use your own!). Also the noodles are an approximation since I kinda didn't pre-measure them I grabbed a couple of handfuls to fill up my skillet lol...same with the cheese, I had a half bag of "taco seasoned" shredded cheese left over and just threw it in there too. My husband didn't believe I made it from scratch! He was looking all over for the box haha
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
- Brown ground beef and cook with diced onions. After the beef is cooked drain and rinse.
- Put back in the pan and add and mix well the seasoning, milk, water and cheese let it come to a slight boil.
- Add the egg noodles, let the pan simmer for about 10 minutes until egg noodles are cooked and sauce has thickened.
- Now Enjoy! I guarantee no one will be able to tell the difference :).
With my additions I give it 5 stars. I added a can of Rotel, decreased the water by 1/4 cup, and added a chopped red pepper with the onion. I doubled the cheese. I served it topped with sour cream and sliced avocado. I don't buy Hamburger Helper because of all the crap in it (MSG, HFCS, dyes, etc) so this recipe was very helpful.
This was great, it did taste just like hamburger helper. Thanks for posting!
I loved Hamburger Helper as a kid but just can't stand boxed mixes these days. So it was really fun to try this recipe and we all loved it! I didn't have and groundbeef, so we used hot sausage. I also used my own homemade taco seasoning. It took a little more water than the recipe called for. Terrific and fun recipe!