Recipe by Dee_73
I just made this on a whim...why I have no idea but it was awesome and you can't tell a difference from the boxed stuff *yuck* It's soooo much cheaper to make it from scratch! I use Penzey's Taco seasoning but they advertise Old El Paso on the box so I assume that's what they use (could also use your own!). Also the noodles are an approximation since I kinda didn't pre-measure them I grabbed a couple of handfuls to fill up my skillet lol...same with the cheese, I had a half bag of "taco seasoned" shredded cheese left over and just threw it in there too. My husband didn't believe I made it from scratch! He was looking all over for the box haha
Top Review by thevikingsgirl
With my additions I give it 5 stars. I added a can of Rotel, decreased the water by 1/4 cup, and added a chopped red pepper with the onion. I doubled the cheese. I served it topped with sour cream and sliced avocado. I don't buy Hamburger Helper because of all the crap in it (MSG, HFCS, dyes, etc) so this recipe was very helpful.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 onion, diced
- 4 tablespoons taco seasoning
- 1⁄2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 cup milk
- 2 cups uncooked egg noodles
Directions See How It's Made
- Brown ground beef and cook with diced onions. After the beef is cooked drain and rinse.
- Put back in the pan and add and mix well the seasoning, milk, water and cheese let it come to a slight boil.
- Add the egg noodles, let the pan simmer for about 10 minutes until egg noodles are cooked and sauce has thickened.
- Now Enjoy! I guarantee no one will be able to tell the difference :).