Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Inexpensive way to feed a crowd. Definately one of our favorite comfort foods! We love it over baked potatoes!
- 2 lbs hamburger
- 1⁄2 cup flour (depending on fat content of beef)
- 3 -4 cups milk (can be mixed with water)
- 1 small onion, minced (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard (optional)
- 2 teaspoons garlic granules (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley (optional)
- any other herbs or spices, you desire
- In a large frying pan, brown hamburger, crumbling as you go.
- Add minced onion and cook until translucent.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked beef, and stir thoroughly.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes.
- Add 2 cups milk, stir well and add all seasonings at this point.
- Simmer, adding more liquid as gravy thickens.
- Cook to desired consistancy, and serve over any style potatoes, pasta, rice, or toast.
Made as written and it was o.k. My husband said to rate it a 2 as it was "bland". I gave it a 3, because, to be fair the recipe does say "any other herbs or spices as you desire". It was really quick though, and I appreciated that. I will definitely make it again upping the spices and adding mushrooms as another review suggested.
I added concentrated beef broth, a can of corn and a can of mushrooms. It was extremely good with mashed potatoes (almost like a savory Shepard's Pie with much more moisture). I will be making this over and over again. It was so easy!! Thanks!
This was ok. It needs more liquid though as it was pretty thick. To us it was pretty bland. We added more garlic and some beef bouillion to it. I would make this again but make some changes to it.