Recipe by Montana Heart Song
This is a recipe to make two ways. In foil wraps/packets in the oven or in a 9x13-inch pan with cover. You can make this ahead and then put in the oven. Use turkey also.
- 16 slices whole wheat bread, toasted
- 8 slices baked ham (thin slices) or 8 slices roasted turkey (thin slices)
- 8 slices of large fresh tomatoes (thin slices)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup margarine
- 1 cup mayonnaise or 1 cup Miracle Whip
- 1⁄8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄8 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon salt or 1 teaspoon salt substitute
- 1 teaspoon horseradish cream, spread
- 2 tablespoons margarine
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk, any kind
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 8 slices American cheese or 8 slices Velveeta cheese, chopped
- pepper, if desired
Directions See How It's Made
- In bowl mix margarine, mayonnaise, dry mustard, salt, celery seed and horseradish spread.
- Brush on olive oil on one side of each toast slice.
- Place oiled side down in 12x12 foil square or 9x13 pan. Note: Make 8 - 12 inch by 12 inch foil squares,.
- Spread about 1 1/2 tsps of mayonnaise mixture on each toast in foil square or pan.
- Add one slice of ham and one slice of tomato, then 1 tsp mayonnaise mixture. Go to the next toast and and add slice of ham and one slice of tomato then 1 tsp mayonnaise mixture. Do it on all slices down.
- Top with slice of toast oiled side down.
- Push down with your hand.
- In saucepan, heat margarine and add flour and salt; whisk.
- Add milk and cheese. Stir until cheese is melted and it is starting to thicken.
- Divide equally among the sandwiches and spoon on the top.
- Preheat oven 350°F.
- Fold foil over to make a packet.
- Cover the pan.
- Heat 25 to 30 minutes. Serve foil packets individually.
- Use spatula to serve from 9x13-inch pan.
- Use knife and fork to eat.
- If you make ahead, add cheese sauce right before putting in the oven. Allow extra time in the oven if refrigerated.