Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
Oh this is so creamy and so good!!!! This is one for your church potlucks. Cooking time is estimated--it may take a little more or less time.
- 3 tablespoons onions (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup green pepper (chopped)
- 1⁄4 cup oil
- 6 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups cooked ham (diced)
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons shortening
- 3⁄4 cup cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1⁄3 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- For Pie: Sauté onions and green pepper in oil; REMOVE FROM HEAT.
- Blend in flour. Gradually stir in milk, ham and soup; return to heat.
- Bring to boil; boil 1 minute.
- Pour into greased casserole.
- Bake at 450 degrees while preparing biscuits.
- FOR BISCUITS: Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.
- Cut in the shortening.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Roll out and cut out the biscuits with a glass or a biscuit cutter.
- Remove hot casserole from oven.
- Place biscuits on top of hot casserole.
- With oven still at 450 degrees, return to oven and bake 15 to 20 minutes more or till biscuits are done and browned.
Made this recipe tonight with one major modification...I don't like my biscuits cooked on top of dishes (can't stand the soggy bottoms!) so I cooked them separately. Both the ham and the biscuits were delicious served with Baked Sweet Potato Fries. This was a wonderful meal that was came together quickly and was super easy to prepare. Thanks for a great recipe!
As I love dumplings and also biscuits, this makes a unique hybrid: biscuits on top and dumplings on the bottom. For this reason I prepare the recipe in a large iron skillet, and immediately place the biscuits on top, and transfer into the oven to bake the tops of the biscuits.
I also use about double the green peppers, 1 &1/2 times the onion, and a tiny bit of garlic. I find the recipe the most successful use of cooked bell peppers I have ever found. (except perhaps for certain hot dogs with stewed onions and peppers - another admittedly different story.) The flavors are phenomenal. Swiss or aged cheddar or a combination can be used for cheese biscuits.
Great dish to use up my left over ham!