1 hr 5 mins
Lise in Indiana's Note:
Baked potatoes with a lightly seasoned Swiss cheese sauce studded with ham pieces. A one dish meal that I serve with a green veg. and maybe cranberry muffins.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Scrub and pierce potatoes and bake at 400 degrees F. until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Cover with an inverted bowl to keep warm while preparing the sauce.
- 2While potatoes bake, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion till tender. Whisk in flour and continue cooking and stirring for a minute or two.
- 3Gradually whisk in the milk and then the cream. Continue stirring while bringing mixture just to a boil. Lower heat and barely simmer for 5 or 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Temper yolks by drizzling in a bit (1/4 cup) of the hot mixture into them while whisking.
- 5Add the tempered yolks to the rest of the sauce and return the saucepan to low heat. Cook until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice, cayenne and nutmeg.
- 6Reserve about 1/3 cup Swiss cheese and add remaining cheese to sauce, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in the ham and heat through, about 2 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- 7Preheat the broiler. Split potatoes lengthwise and place in a large casserole (11' X 13') Flake the potato flesh with a fork and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- 8Spoon sauce over the potatoes, distributing evenly. Sprinkle with reserved Swiss cheese and broil until heated through and just starting to brown. Serve.
- 9This can be prepared ahead and refrigerated, covered well, for up to 24 hours. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes until hot and starting to brown.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ham and Swiss Sauced Potatoes
Serving Size: 1 (373 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 880.4
- Calories from Fat 459
- Total Fat 51.0 g
- Saturated Fat 29.6 g
- Cholesterol 294.5 mg
- Sodium 1940.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.2 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 47.2 g