Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Baked potatoes with a lightly seasoned Swiss cheese sauce studded with ham pieces. A one dish meal that I serve with a green veg. and maybe cranberry muffins.
- Scrub and pierce potatoes and bake at 400 degrees F. until tender, 50 to 60 minutes. Cover with an inverted bowl to keep warm while preparing the sauce.
- While potatoes bake, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Saute onion till tender. Whisk in flour and continue cooking and stirring for a minute or two.
- Gradually whisk in the milk and then the cream. Continue stirring while bringing mixture just to a boil. Lower heat and barely simmer for 5 or 6 minutes. Remove from heat.
- In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks. Temper yolks by drizzling in a bit (1/4 cup) of the hot mixture into them while whisking.
- Add the tempered yolks to the rest of the sauce and return the saucepan to low heat. Cook until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Stir in lemon juice, cayenne and nutmeg.
- Reserve about 1/3 cup Swiss cheese and add remaining cheese to sauce, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in the ham and heat through, about 2 minutes over low heat. Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasonings, if needed.
- Preheat the broiler. Split potatoes lengthwise and place in a large casserole (11' X 13') Flake the potato flesh with a fork and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Spoon sauce over the potatoes, distributing evenly. Sprinkle with reserved Swiss cheese and broil until heated through and just starting to brown. Serve.
- This can be prepared ahead and refrigerated, covered well, for up to 24 hours. Bake in a 375 degree oven for 40 to 50 minutes until hot and starting to brown.