Recipe by Marie
A different way to do mac and cheese with the addition of ham and using Colby cheese in the sauce. Yum!
Top Review by Jug O'Mud
Loved this ham mac 'n cheese dish-- a great way to use up that leftover Christmas ham! I added just a little more pasta than the recipe called for to stretch it just a little further. Love the bechamel sauce and think that, altogether, this is an easy, quick way to put a nice, tasty, hot meal on the table. The parmesan cheese was awesome and next time, I would use a little more on the top-- the unexpected flavor it lends to the traditional mac 'n cheese taste was absolute yumminess. I served this alongside Recipe #43390. Thank you!
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mustard
- 3 1⁄2 cups shredded colby cheese
- 1⁄2 lb ham, cut into small chunks
- 1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Cook and drain pasta per package directions.
- Melt butter over low heat and saute garlic in it for 30 seconds.
- Whisk in flour and salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until smooth and bubbly.
- Gradually stir in milk and heat to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Stir in mustard and Colby cheese and cook, stirring occasionally until cheese is melted.
- Stir pasta and ham into cheese sauce.
- Pour into ungreased 2 quart baking dish.
- Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and bake uncovered for 20 to 25 minutes or until bubbly.