Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a comfort food, stick to your ribs, cold night dinner! Serve wwith hot buttered corn bread. Enjoy!!!
- Wash and pick over the beans.
- Place in a large stockpot and cover with the soaking water.
- Let stand overnight.
- (you can speed this up by using your crock pot on high and watch the water. It takes around 3 hours) Drain the beans, rinse and drain again.
- Heat the oil in the pot over medium high.
- Add the onions, carrot and garlic.
- Cook, stirring often until the onions are tender, around 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the beans, cooking water and the bay leaf.
- Slowly bring to a full boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the ham bone to the pot.
- Re-cover and simmer 2 hours longer-watch the water level.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Remove the ham bone and cut away the meat.
- Chop into bite sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with corn bread.