Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
This is a comfort food, stick to your ribs, cold night dinner! Serve wwith hot buttered corn bread. Enjoy!!!
- Wash and pick over the beans.
- Place in a large stockpot and cover with the soaking water.
- Let stand overnight.
- (you can speed this up by using your crock pot on high and watch the water. It takes around 3 hours) Drain the beans, rinse and drain again.
- Heat the oil in the pot over medium high.
- Add the onions, carrot and garlic.
- Cook, stirring often until the onions are tender, around 3 or 4 minutes.
- Add the beans, cooking water and the bay leaf.
- Slowly bring to a full boil.
- Reduce the heat to a simer, cover and cook for 1 hour.
- Add the ham bone to the pot.
- Re-cover and simmer 2 hours longer-watch the water level.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Remove the ham bone and cut away the meat.
- Chop into bite sized pieces and return to the pot.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with corn bread.
I used black eyed peas and ham hocks. Came out very good. Corn bread is a nice touch!
At Di's suggestion, I tried this recipe to use a hambone that I found in my freezer. It was really delicious. The kids really enjoyed this and loved the addition of cornbread. The hambone was seasoned enough, so I didn't need to add additional salt or pepper. I rinsed the beans several times and picked through the soaked beans to get rid of as many of the membranes as possible. I also had a small amount of minced ham that I added in to heat through. Thank you for posting this, it will be a favorite for us!
Very yummy! Easy to make. I used black-eyed beans, chicken stock instead of water and a pound of baked ham diced small instead of the ham bone.