1/1 Photo of Halibut Steaks - Maine Style
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A superb fish recipe. I have been making this dish for over 30 years. The conmbination of the spices gives the fish a delightful flavor.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh halibut steaks, 3/4 inch thick (3 steaks)
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon whole milk, homogenized
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1/4 cup crushed breakfast corn flakes
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 cup grated hard parmesan cheese (Parmigiano Reggiano cheese preferred)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons italian seasoning mix
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1Rinse halibut steaks in cold water and pat dry on paper towellling; set aside.
- 2In a small bowl, beat together eggs, milk and mustard until blended.
- 3Crush corn flakes.
- 4In a shallow mixing bowl, combine crushed corn flakes, granulated garlic powder, dried dill weed, parmesan cheese and Italian herb seasoning mix.
- 5Preheat oven to 450 F degrees.
- 6Dip halibut in egg mixture.
- 7Now dip halibut in corn flakes mixture to coat all surfaces well. With floured fingers, press the cornflakes firmly into the halibut.
- 8In a shallow 8" x 10" oven-proof casserole dish, in preheated 450 F oven, heat butter and olive oil until butter melts.
- 9Place coated halibut steaks in a single layer in the buttered casserole dish.
- 10Bake in preheated 450 F oven for 5 minutes.
- 11Turn halibut steaks over and continue to bake for 5 to 6 minutes or until fish flakes when tested with a fork; DO NOT OVERCOOK.
- 12Serve immediately with tartar sauce, lemon wedges or both.
Browse Our Top Halibut Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Halibut Steaks - Maine Style
Serving Size: 1 (266 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 567.0
- Calories from Fat 319
- Total Fat 35.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.2 g
- Cholesterol 262.3 mg
- Sodium 425.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 3.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 1.1 g
- Protein 55.4 g