Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
A very simple recipe that tastes delicious.
Make and share this Haitian Rice and Beans recipe from Food.com.
- 1 quart water
- 1 cup dried red beans, rinsed
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 8 parsley sprigs
- 3 scallions or 3 green onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup rice
- Bring water to boiling. Add red beans and cook covered for 1 1/2 hours.
- Drain beans, reserving liquid, and set aside. Add enough water to bean liquid to equal 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Set aside.
- In a mortar, pound together to form a paste the salt, parsley, scallions, garlic, and rosemary.
- Heat oil and seasoning paste in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Put rice in Dutch oven and stir until well coated with oil. Add reserved liquid and bring to a boil, stirring. Add beans and again bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and cook undisturbed for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, stir, and cook about 5 minutes longer, or until no liquid remains.
This is one of my favorite recipes and its very good for a nothing in the cupboard dinner. I didn't use rosemary. Would make again and again.
really good rice ..thank you
One of my favorite dishes! I usually add a bit of coconut milk to my rice and beans as well. Great w/banan, legume, or some type of tassot.