Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Recipe is traditional Yucatan Peninsula, Mexico. Acquired from friend's housekeeper/cook while visiting Cancun.
- 2 cups purple onions, chopped
- 1 habanero pepper, seeded and chopped
- 2 large limes, juice of
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Chop onions and habanero. Squeeze the juice of the limes over the onions and habanero mix.
- Put in a bowl with a tight lid and shake well. You can serve it immediately, but it will be nothing special.
- Put it in the refrigerator and every day for a week shake it well so that the lime juice totally coats the mixture.
- After a couple of days, taste for heat and add additional habanero, if desired and salt to taste.
- After it has marinated for a week, add the cilantro and serve. This salsa lasts several weeks in the fridge.
Not a fan or 2 keen on red onions i pefer regular white onions. I like 2 add jalapenos also kosher salt a bit. I dont like clintro so i leave it out.
This recipe is really good, I also add diced button mushrooms in when I add the cilantro....and I add around 1/4 cup of cilantro instead of 2 tbsp. Great with tortilla chips!