Recipe by Shaye
I got this recipe from the newspaper years ago, and make it frequently. I serve it with my cucumber yogurt sauce, which I'm also posting. Be warned- It is very garlicky. Also, use less pepper if you're using all beef instead of lamb.
Top Review by rltfox
I can't believe how simple, yet flavorful this was! I won't have to go out for Gyros again - it's that good. I did use a combo of lamb & beef, but other than that I followed the recipe to a T. I did come up with a better (in my opinion) way to shape the meat though: Line a meatloaf pan with foil & press part of the mixture in the pan until it's about 1-1/2" thick. Pull up on the foil to remove it & place on a cookie sheet. Repeat with remaining mixture & cook as directed. This way you get the nice uniform shape & you can thinly slice the loaf when it is done for perfect gyro meat. You can't tell it didn't come off a spit.
- 1 lb lean ground lamb (I frequently grind the lamb in my food processor or meat grinder and sometimes add beef)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dried oregano (crushed)
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Combine ingredients in a bowl, and shape into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Broil 8-10 minutes until no longer pink.
- Slice thinly and serve with pita bread, sliced tomatoes, thinly sliced onion, cucumber yogurt sauce.