Prep 0 mins
Cook 30 mins
This soup tastes like a gyoza dumpling turned insided out. I like the crunch that the water chestnuts adds. You may need to add a little soy sauce to taste.
- 1 lb ground lean pork
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 43 ounces chicken broth (3 14 1/2 ounce cans)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Kikkoman soy sauce
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 6 ounces sliced water chestnuts, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon chili oil
- 1⁄2 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 6 ounces wonton skins, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 bunch cilantro leaf, chopped
- In a soup pot, brown the pork over medium high heat until no pink remains.
- Drain off excess fat and reduce heat to medium and add the remaining ingredients, except the wontons strips and cilantro.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Separate the wonton strips and stir into the soup.
- Cook for 8-10 minutes, or until the wonton strips are done.
- Add the fresh cilantro leaves and vinegar, and serve immediately.
This made a delicious meal. DW cooked it for me as a surprise. Beautiful flavours with the crunch of the water chestnut pieces. We added a bit of chilli to suit our taste.