Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a recipe that I invented about fifteen years ago and has been a favorite among my family and friends ever since. I make this in LARGE amounts, since it goes quickly and can be used in a variety of ways. You can fill toasted taco shells with this then top with lettuce, fresh tomato, cheese, sour cream and or guacamole. I like to put this on tostada shells, sprinkle shredded mozzarella cheese on it, microwave to melt the cheese and then top with sour cream, quacamole and jalapeno slices. You can also do that with the round nacho chips. Another suggestion is to wilt corn tortilla in a skillet with a bit of oil, drain them on paper towels and place some of the filling into them, roll them up and cover with a white cheese and sour cream sauce and garnish with jalapeno slices. Depending on how you use it, this should serve between 6 to 10 people.
- 1 whole large chicken, boiled and boned
- 1 (16 ounce) jarof pickled mild banana wax peppers
- 1 large bell pepper
- 1 large yellow onion
- 1 (16 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 tablespoon Gebhardt® Chili powder
- 1⁄4 cup chopped cilantro
- Boil and bone the chicken, reserve two cups of the broth. Finely chop the chicken and set aside. I use a food processor to do this. Take all the vegetable and mince or chop in a food processor. Sautee the minced peppers, onion, garlic and cumin until everything is nice and tender, then add the canned tomato. Add salt and pepper to taste. Mix in the chicken, stirring well to mix evenly with the veggies. Add one cup of broth and simmer for about ten minutes to let the flavors mix. If it gets too dry, add the second cup of broth. Once it is heated, add the chili powder, stir in well, remove from heat and you are ready to serve in whatever way you choose.
- If you leave out the MILD banana wax peppers or the chili powder, you will lose 99 percent of the flavor.NEVER overcook chili powder or it will get bitter. Gebhardt's is a very mild chili powder, so if you can't find it, try to substitute with the mildest you can find.
Absolutely spectacular! The changes I made were to use boneless skinless chicken breasts and hot and sweet banana peppers. I made homemade tortilla shells to go along with it and it was delicious! I will never go back to using a seasoning packet. Thanks for a great recipe!!
This is the best chicken taco recipe I have ever tasted!!! 5 Stars don't begin to do it justice - I give it 100!