1/2 Photos of Gumbo Cookoff Winner - Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
2 hrs 40 mins
St. Louie Suzie's Note:
I won first prize with this recipe at an annual Gumbo Cookoff for Mardi Gras in Soulard (St. Louis). I refuse to believe it won just because the cookoff/party happened to be at my house! It is a hybrid of several gumbo recipes I've tried, including one in the Southern Sideboards recipe book from the Junior League of Jackson, Mississippi. Note: cooking and prep time are listed as if you are preparing the different parts of the recipe simultaneously. You can certainly make the chicken/stock ahead and spread out your prep time for chopping/measuring spices over a couple days.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 1/2 lbs whole chickens
- 2 whole cloves
- 1 carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 -8 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 celery rib
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 6 -8 black peppercorns
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 lbs fresh okra, chopped
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 medium sized yellow onions, chopped
- 2 small green bell peppers, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 1 1/2 lbs cooked smoked sausage, sliced in 1/3-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons file powder
- 1Place chicken and next 10 ingredients in large stockpot and cover with water (approx. 1 gallon) and bring to a boil.
- 2Reduce heat and simmer until chicken is tender (approx. 1 hour).
- 3Using tongs, remove chicken to a strainer and cool.
- 4Strain chicken stock into a large container (discard whatever the strainer catches). Save stock for use in gumbo later.
- 5Remove meat from bones in pieces and reserve to add to gumbo later.
- 6Heat 2 tablespoons vegetable oil in heavy skillet over medium heat.
- 7Add okra to skillet and cook until no longer sticky, stirring frequently (about 20 minutes), then set aside to add to gumbo later.
- 8Stir flour and 1/3 cup vegetable oil in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Stir frequently until it becomes a deep, golden brown roux (approx, 30 minutes). It should appear to be the color of peanut butter.
- 9Add the chopped yellow onions, bell peppers, celery and garlic to the roux and stir until soft.
- 10Add 4 cups of the reserved chicken stock and okra, tomatoes, sausage, and all herbs/spices except for file powder. Cover partially and simmer until thickened (approx. 1.5 hours).
- 11Spoon off any fat from surface of gumbo.
- 12Add chicken and file powder and simmer 15 more minutes.
- 13Serve in bowls over steamed white rice.
Browse Our Top Gumbo Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Gumbo Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Gumbo Cookoff Winner - Chicken and Sausage Gumbo
Serving Size: 1 (394 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 572.6
- Calories from Fat 379
- Total Fat 42.2 g
- Saturated Fat 11.4 g
- Cholesterol 114.9 mg
- Sodium 1488.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 18.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.1 g
- Sugars 6.1 g
- Protein 28.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: