Prep 0 mins
Cook 0 mins
- 1⁄2 lb cabbage
- 1⁄2 lb carrot
- 1⁄2 hot green chili pepper (fresh)
- 2⁄3 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pinch asafoetida powder
- 2⁄3 tablespoon black mustard seeds
- 1 dried hot red chilies
- 7⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 teaspoon sugar
- 2⁄3 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
- 2⁄3 teaspoon lemon juice
- Core the cabbage and cut it into fine, long shreds.
- Peel the carrots and grate them coarsely.
- Cut the green chili into thin, long strips.
- Heat the oil in a wide, casserole-type pot over a medium-high flame.
- When hot, put in the asafetida.
- A second later, put in the mustard seeds.
- As soon as the mustard seeds begin to pop, put in the dried red chili.
- Stir once.
- The chili should turn dark red in seconds.
- Now put in the cabbage, carrots and green chili.
- Turn the heat down to medium and stir the vegetables around for half a minute.
- Add the salt, sugar and green coriander.
- Stir and cook for another 5 minutes or until the vegetables are just done and retain some of their crispness.
- Ad the lemon juice.
- Stir to mix. (Remove the whole red chili before serving to those unfamiliar with Indian foods.)