Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
This is a fudgey cake that will cure any chocolate craving without days of guilt or three hours at the gym. It's so very easy too. I've served this to guests and they begged for the recipe. Cooking time includes cooling time. Don't let the long list of ingredients scare you off. This is a very easy recipe that doesn't even require a mixer.
- 3⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup low-fat milk
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 2⁄3 cups boiling water
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray a 9 inch square pan with nonstick spray.
- Combine the flour, granulated sugar 1/3 cup of cocoa, baking powder, instant coffee powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the center and pour in milk, melted butter and vanilla.
- Stir just until blended. Pour the batter evenly into prepared pan.
- Mix brown sugar and the 1/4 cup cocoa in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the batter.
- Gently pour the boiling water over the top in a zig zag pattern. DO NOT STIR.
- Bake until the top of the pudding is set. About 35 minutes.
- Cool on a rack at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Cut into squares and serve warm or at room temperature.
It was really hard to wait the 30 min. cooling time but it def. got thicker as it cooled. This was very good and the whole family enjoyed it topped it with some whipped Dream Whip (with almond extract added). I wish it'd been a bit sweeter (I have a big sweet tooth) but the rest of the family thought it was sweet enough. I might decrease a bit of the cocoa powder next time to taste the sweetness more. Thanks racrgal, for posting! Roxygirl
Wow! This cake definitely lives up to its name, a chocolaty indulgence that you would never suspect is low fat. I liked the subtle hint of coffee too. I served it upside down so the pudding part was the icing. Thanks for posting racrgal! Made for Zaar Tag, please see my rating system.