Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Delicious fruit pie--traditional recipe of Jamaica. Food of the world series Time/Life
- 2 (1 kg) cans guavas
- 3 -5 tablespoons strained fresh lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons arrowroot, blended with
- 5 teaspoons cold water
- 1 pastry crust, pie case ready made
- 3⁄8 pint double cream, chilled & stiffly whipped
- Drain liquid from guavas (reserve liquid); pat guavas dry.
- Pour 5/8 pint of liquid into a small saucepan and bring to boil over high heat.
- Cook briskly until liquid is reduced to approx 3/8 pint.
- Reduce heat to low and stir in 3 Tbsp lime juice.
- Taste and add more juice if needed.
- Stir arrowroot mixture and blend; pour into simmering guava juice mixture stirring constantly until mixture thickens to a light syrupy glaze.
- Remove pan from heat.
- Spread a thin coating over inside surface of pie case.
- Place guavas in pie case, cut side down, ensuring that bottom of case is covered completely.
- Arrange rest of guavas in concentric circles on top.
- Pour rest of glaze evenly over pie and cool to room temperature.
- Serve accompanied with whipped cream.