Recipe by fidgety smidgets
This was a quick meal I threw together as an experiment so quantities are not exact. It's good as a light summer meal. I've since also made this by omitting the cheese and instead breading the chicken with panko for a light, crispy texture. I made the guacamole as a modification of another recipe...knowing that many people like their guacamole different ways feel free to change this part. Be mindful that the seasoning in the guac will need to be a tad strong to balance out the avocado, chicken and cheese/bread crumbs. Also, my oven seems to bake slowly so cooking time may be off.
Top Review by istillskate
This recipe was extremely flavorful and filling. I altered the recipe with what I had handy by using Cheddar Cheese instead of mozzarella. Also I added chopped cilantro and sourcream to the guacamole mixture. As a quick option I used a prepackaged Spanish Rice for the side dish. Two thumbs way up!!!
- 1 avocado (mashed)
- 1 tomatoes (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (finely chopped or crushed)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar
- lime juice
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breast, thawed
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese (sliced or shredded)
Directions See How It's Made
- Note: I served this dish with brown rice. If that's what you choose I recommend starting the chicken and rice at the same time as they both take ~40 minutes to cook. Another alternative to cooking it separately is to bake the dish with the rice - add extra salsa for moisture.
- Combine avocado, tomato, garlic, vinegar and lime juice in small bowl. Season to taste (~1/8 tsp cumin, dash of salt, dash of pepper).
- Slice chicken lengthwise, leaving some in-tact at the ends (like a pita), or slice in half lengthwise and tenderize.
- Stuff liberally with guacamole, or wrap tenderized chicken around guacamole and hold with a toothpick.
- Place chicken in glass baking dish, cover with salsa.
- Scatter cheese on top (If you prefer melted cheese instead of crispy, add 10 minutes before removing chicken from the oven).
- Bake at 450 F for 40 - 45 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked. Chicken should cool slightly before being served.