Prep 0 mins
Cook 15 mins
Oatmeal is a healthy breakfast, but the standard serving size is SO small. Thanks to a few simple tricks (in short, doubling the liquid and cook time), it's easy to make a huge bowl of "growing oatmeal" without a huge calorie count...
- Combine 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats and a dash of salt in a nonstick pot. Add 1 cup fat-free milk (or milk alternative) and 1 cup of water.
- Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Cook and stir until thick and creamy, 12 - 15 minutes.
- Transfer to a medium bowl, and let slightly cool and thicken. Stir in any mix-ins, and top with optional toppings!
- * low-sugar fruit preserves (1 tablespoon = 25 calories, 0g fat).
- * reduced-fat peanut butter (1 tablespoon = 90 calories, 6g fat).
- * canned pure pumpkin (1/4 cup = 20 calories and 0g fat).
- Mix 'n match --
- * chopped or sliced fruit (nutritional info varies, but you can't go wrong!).
- * chopped or sliced nuts (average, 1 tablespoon = 50 calories, 5.4g fat).
- * mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (1 teaspoon = 23 calories, 1.3g fat).
- * fat-free, low-fat, or light caramel dip (1 tablespoon = 55 calories, <0.5g fat).
- * raisins (1 tablespoon = 32 calories, 0g fat).
- * shredded sweetened coconut (1 tablespoon = 35 calories, 2.2g fat).