Prep 5 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is an easy pasta sauce to throw together on a weeknight. It's healthy, tasty and tastes just as good on french bread as it does on your favorite pasta.
- 793.78 g can whole tomatoes
- 226.79 g can tomato paste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 (453.59 g) package sliced mushrooms
- 453.59 g ground turkey, Italian seasoned
- 29.58 ml olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 14.79 ml italian seasoning
- 340.19 g pasta (I like bow-tie, but use what you enjoy!)
- Over medium heat, place olive oil in heavy pan (I like to use my small dutch oven with a lid) to heat. Add ground turkey and cook through, crumbling as you go. Once the turkey is no longer pink, add garlic and cook for 3 minutes, stirring, so as to not burn the garlic. Add the two packages of mushrooms, breaking up any larger pieces- cook for 10 minutes. *This is a good time to get your pasta water boiling. Add the can of whole tomatoes to the turkey and mushrooms and crush in the pan. (I like to use a potato masher). Add the can of tomato paste and the italian seasoning. Stir it up and pop on the lid. Reduce the heat to low and let simmer for about 30 minutes- stirring occasionally. Flavor with salt and pepper to your liking and let it simmer for an additional 10 minutes or so without the lid on. Enjoy!
Good recipe. I switched it up a bit and just added the whole tomatoes, the tomato paste, the garlic and the italian seasoning to the blender (my family doesn't like chunky tomatoes). Then I added it to browned ground turkey. I omitted the mushrooms (the family doesn't like those either) and tossed with some cooked rigatoni. SUPER easy. Well received!