Top Review by Charlotte J
This was a good basic recipe. As I was making it, all I could think of was fresh basil. I wish I would have added some. Anyway, there are a few problems with the ingredients and directions. Even though the salt, pepper, parsley (1 tablespoon dry) and garlic (I used 2 cloves) they still should be listed on the ingredient list. It says to preheat oven but does not say to what. I set the oven to 350 baked 40 minutes and the turned it up to 375 for another 15 minutes. I did like the moist bread in the peppers. You need to cover this as it bakes as the stuffing top gets a little dry. We added the salt and pepper at the table to each our own taste. Still I would make this again with the changes I stated. Thank you for sharing this recipe. Made for *My Three Chefs game* 2008 my Theme: *Stuffed Peppers*
- 2 big red peppers
- 500 g ground beef (about 1 pd.)
- 1 large onion
- 100 g bread, without crust (about 1/4 pd.)
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons dried bread, Grated
Directions See How It's Made
- Salt, pepper, chopped fresh parsley, minced garlic for taste. Wash the peppers and dry them very well.
- Cut each one into two pieces (longitudinally). Get out all the seeds and any white part. Preheat oven.
- FILLING: Put the bread in a cup with the milk.
- Wait until the bread absorb all the liquid it can.
- Then squeeze it; only the humid bread without liquid will be used.
- Aside, put in a bowl the ground beef, the very finely chopped onion, the minced garlic and the parsley.
- Mix all very well.
- Add the humid bread cut in small pieces; put enough salt and pepper.
- Fill the peppers halves.
- Sprinkle each one with grated dried bread.
- Put them on a shell with a thin oil layer.
- Cook in the oven for about 30-40 minutes until the peppers are tender and the cover (the grated bread) gold brown.
- Bon appetit! The same filling can be used to stuff zucchini and aubergines, for instance. These ones must be cooked previously in salted boiling water (already cut in halves). Then you have to empty each half with a tablespoon, taking care of not damaging the skin.
- Part of the fruit retired (and chopped) can be mixed in the filling.
- I hope you like these ideas.