Lauren's Mexican Stuffed Red Bell Peppers
photo by laurenpie
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
12 stuffed pepper halves
- 6 large red bell peppers, halved lengthwise
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 fresh garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon mild california chili powder
- 3 large eggs, scrambled
- 2 cups cooked rice
- 2 cups shredded monterey jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup water
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and start the rice cooking (you'll need 2 cups after cooking).
- Arrange tomato slices across bottom of large, shallow baking dish; very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Wash bell peppers and cut in half lengthwise; remove seeds. Place halves in baking dish so that each sits on a tomato slice; very lightly sprinkle with salt.
- Cook the hamburger over med-high heat with 1 tsp salt, onions and garlic; remove grease; add cumin and chili powder.
- Cook the eggs (scrambled).
- Combine the cooked eggs, cooked rice, cheese and hamburger mixture; spoon into each bell pepper half. (Optional: add an additional coating of cheese on top).
- Refrigerate until ready to bake (within 2 days).
- When ready to bake, pour 1/2 cup water into bottom of baking pan (don't pour directly onto tomatoes or bell peppers) and then cover entire pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Bake, covered, at 350 degrees for about 40 minutes, or until heated through and cheese is melted.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Love to sing, swim, kayak and bike! I enjoy making/eating homemade.