Prep 45 mins
Cook 20 mins
These calzones aren't your typical calzone as they don't have any marinara. They are a recipe from my mother-in-law that she made DH as a kid. I love them and they always make enough to freeze and reheat later! Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄4 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons garlic salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups flour
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 lb fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) package Knorr french onion soup mix
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 cup cheese, grated
- Sprinkle yeast on warm water lt dissolve and float to top. Add olive oil and pepper and 2 C flour. Stir til smooth. Stir in remaining flour until kneadable. Knead til smooth. Let rise while making filling.
- Fry beef in skillet on med-high until no longer pink. Add mushrooms and fry a bit more. Add soup and water, reduce heat to med. and simmer until liquid is almost gone. **if you want to you can grate in a baked potato or add rice or other appropriate leftovers you may have** Add cheese and turn off heat. Let cool.
- Roll out dough and use a bowl or lid that is about 4" or whatever you choose to cut circles and put filling in and seal and put on a cookie sheet and bake at 375 degrees for 15-20 minute.
Even though the stars show only 3 we give this a 3.5! Very easy and nice recipe. We made these last night and devoured them, but there was just something missing ( no not the tomato sauce ) just can't put our finger on it... Thanks for a good recipe we will use again with some changes, will post what we change if we find that magic missing ingrediant. Thanks again. Edit 10/17/2009: The missing ingredient is chorizo! Add half beef and half chorizo you will not be disapointed. 4 star this way!