Prep 5 mins
Cook 15 mins
I go on a big grocery run every month, and this is usually what I make when I come home. It's SUPER easy and quick, and this way my hungry tribe doesn't have to wait too long for supper when I come home with all the delicious food! It's very good for when you need to whip up a satisfying soup very quickly, or if you have leftover chicken you need to use up. All kinds of things can be added based on what your family likes or you have on hand--various vegetables, mushrooms, beans--and this hearty soup is terrific with a crisp salad.
- 2 (28 ounce) cartons chicken broth
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cansliced carrots, drained
- 2 cups diced cooked chicken, drained or 2 cups canned chicken, breasts, drained
- 1⁄2 cup minced garlic
- 2 -3 cups instant rice
- 1 dash soy sauce (more to taste if you use low-sodium broth)
- 1 dash cajun seasoning (pref. Tony Chachere's, more if you like it spicy)
- peppercorn (whole)
- Combine all ingredients except rice in a large stockpot and heat to boiling.
- Add rice, simmer 5-8 minutes or until rice is as tender as you like it.
- Serve! Garnish with a light sprinkling of shredded cheese if desired.