Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
This recipe is from Xinjiang Province in the northwest corner of China. A land populated by the Uighur people who are Muslims of Turkic descent and carry with them culinary traditions rooted in ancient Middle Eastern techniques.
- Beat the egg with the cornstarch in a large bowl. Toss in the lamb so that all the cubes are coated, and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Prepare a medium fire in a charcoal or gas grill and oil the grill grates. Dry-roast the cumin and coriander seeds in a skillet over medium heat just until you smell the spices aroma; be careful not to let them burn.
- Then immediately remove the skillet from the heat and let cool. In a mortar and pestle or a coffee grinder, grind the seeds into a coarse powder.
- Mix the powder with the salt and chili powder until well combined.
- Thread 5 cubes of lamb onto each skewer and rub the spice mixture all over the meat. Brush the tops of the skewers with the oil.
- Grill the skewers until they are crusty and brown on the outside and medium-rare on the inside. Serve the kebabs with a side of yogurt for dipping.