Prep 10 mins
Cook 25 mins
Excellent, very similar to those found at the Wild Oats market.
- 2 eggplants
- 2 red bell peppers
- 2 yellow bell peppers
- 3 long slender zucchini
- olive oil, for brushing
- 1⁄4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon mint or 1 tablespoon thyme or 1 tablespoon oregano
- Cut eggplant into lengthwise slices about 1/2 inch.
- Place in a bowl and cover with water measuring the amount used.
- Add 1/4 cup of salt for every 2 quarts.
- Set something heavy (plate) in the bowl with a can on top to hold the slices under water and leave them to soak 1 to 2 hours.
- Meanwhile rinse the peppers and cut them in half lengthwise.
- Rinse seeds and white membrane.
- Cut zucchini on diagonal into slices 1/2 inch thick.
- Prepare grill.
- Remove eggplant slices from brine and pat dry.
- Brush all veggies with olive oil and grill them on each side for 10 to 18 minutes.
- Place pepper halves skin side down on grill, cook until the peppers are slightly blackened and the skin is starting to lift off and blister, about 5 to 8 minutes.
- Don't cook peppers on both sides.
- Mix marinade together and pour the marinade over the vegetables.
- Cover with aluminum foil and set aside at room temperature to marinade for several hours or overnight.
- Serve at room temperature.
- Serves 8.
This is an excellent recipe. My mom requested balsamic vs. red wine vinegar next time. A great do ahead recipe. Also great for picnics. Tons of flavor & very easy. Thank you, Oxford!