Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
Recipe from 25 Essentials: Techniques for Grilling Fish by Karen Adler and Judith Fertig.
SPICY LEMON PEPPER RUB
- 1⁄4 cup lemon pepper seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons firmly packed light brown sugar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon kosher salt or 1⁄2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 tilapia fillets, about 6 ounces each
- olive oil
- kosher salt or sea salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted (1 stick)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Prepare a hot fire in a grill. Oil the grate and a perforated grill rack.
- To make the rub, combine all the ingredients in a small jar with a tight-fitting lid. Secure the lid and shake to blend.
- Brush or spray the fillets on both sides with olive oil and sprinkle each fillet with about 1 teaspoon of the rub. (Save the rest for later use; it will keep in the cupboard for several months.)
- Place the fish, flesh side down, on the oiled perforated grill rack and grill for 10 minutes per inch of thickness, turning once halfway through. A fish fillet is done when it begins to flake when tested with a fork in the thickest part.
- Remove from the grill and season with salt and pepper. Combine the melted butter and lemon juice and drizzle the lemon butter over the grilled fish. Serve hot.