Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
The grilled corn imparts a wonderful smokey flavor to this salad and red pepper and scallions add great color and crunch! This goes well at any barbeque and may be prepared up to 2 days in advance. From the Down Home with the Neely's cookbook.
- 6 ears fresh corn, husked, silks removed (4-6 cups)
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil, divided (or veg. oil)
- 1⁄2 red bell pepper, seeds and ribs removed, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons scallions, sliced thin
- 3 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped (or parsley)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup (or honey)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon neely's barbeque seasoning (The Neely's Barbeque Seasoning)
- Heat the grill to medium high, or turn on the broiler. Brush the cobs evenly with 2 tbls. oil.
- When grill is hot, grill corn for 7 minutes, using tongs to turn the cobs as needed for even cooking, until nicely charred on all sides.
- Or you can broil the corn, turning as needed for even browning.
- When the corn is cool enough to handle, use a sharp knife to strip the kernels from the cob and move them to a large bowl. Add the bell pepper, scallions, and cilantro(or parsley).
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tbls. oil with the lime juice, maple syrup, salt and pepper, and Neely's Barbecue Seasoning.
- Pour the dressing over the corn mixture, tossing well to mix thoroughly and taste to adjust seasonings(adding more salt, pepper, or lime juice as desired).
- Serve at room temperature. Enjoy!
- For an extra smoky flavor, grill the scallions until charred and soft, 3-4 minutes total, then finely chop.
I made this using canned corn kernels, omitted the BBQ seasoning and added in a little garlic powder and cayenne pepper, it still turned out wonderful, I'm going to make it again next time I grill corn, thanks Sharon