Make these lower fat by using reduced fat sour cream and cream cheese ---to save time and to blend the flavors even more, prepare the filling in advance and chill for 8 hours or overnight --- You may use about 1/2 teaspoon dried basil or oregano in place of fresh, or just omit the herbs completely --- these are *very* good I have made them many times in the past :)
- 8 large portabella mushrooms, stems removed (about 8x3-inch round)
- 8 small firm plum tomatoes (sliced into thin slices)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (or to taste)
- salt and pepper
- 1⁄3 cup grated parmesan cheese (or use finely grated mozzarella cheese)
- 1 (14 ounce) jar artichoke hearts (drained, tough leaves removed then coarsely chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup cream cheese, room temperature
- 1⁄4 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil (or use 2 tbsps fresh oregano)
- 1 large green onion (very finely chopped)
- seasoned salt and fresh ground black pepper
- In a bowl mix all stuffing ingredients together adjusting salt, pepper and hot sauce to taste.
- Cover and chill until ready to use if not using right away.
- Place the mushroom caps on large baking sheet or platter and brush all over with with olive oil.
- Sprinkle with tops of the caps lightly with salt and pepper.
- Using a large spoon or spatula divide/spread the stuffing mixture between the mushroom caps.
- Arrange and spread out the tomato slices in a "spiral-like" fashion on top of the stuffing.
- Carefully brush the tomatoes with olive oil then season with a pinch of salt and black pepper, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese or mozza cheese.
- Grill at 250F or medium-low heat for about 7-8 minutes, or until the mushrooms are soft and the topping is hot.