Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
From Rachael Ray's 30 Minute Meals.
- 1 lb sack sauerkraut, drained
- 1 cup beer or 1 cup apple cider
- 1⁄4 cup spicy brown mustard
- 1 1⁄4 lbs kielbasa (1 folded link)
- 1⁄8 cup butter, softened
- 8 slices marbled rye bread
- 8 slices swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 cup sweet red pepper relish
- Preheat griddle pan to medium-high heat.
- Heat small skillet over medium heat.
- Mix sauerkraut, beer or cider, and mustard in small skillet and simmer 10 minutes.
- Cut kielbasa into 4 portions and split sausage pieces in half, opening them up.
- Grill the sausages on hot griddle until crispy on both sides, about 7-8 minutes total.
- Wipe some of the grease off the griddle and drop heat to low.
- Lightly butter 1 side of each slice of bread. Build butter-side out sandwiches out of grilled kielbasa, sauerkraut, and 2 slices of cheese; spread the top of each sandwich with red pepper relish before setting in place.
- Grill the sandwich on griddle until crispy.
- Cut and serve.
This was good, but not quite what I was expecting. It is also a little difficult to eat as a sandwich. I ended up eating mine with a fork and knife. You can also toast 1 tsp. caraway seed and add to the sauerkraut, or purchase the Bavarian-style sauerkraut that already has caraway added.