Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe is not for the seasoned vegetarian because I'm a novice at this and created this recipe to suit my taste but I was craving something spinach-ee and these turned out great! You can use the base ingredients and create away! on your own also. There is no fat added other than what the nut provides or if you choose to fry these. I've grilled these burgers.
- 4 cups baby spinach leaves
- 2 cups brazil nuts
- 1 small onion
- 1 large garlic clove
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 2 slices whole wheat bread, toasted, ground into crumbs
- 1⁄2 cup pecorino romano cheese (or any other variety hard cheese)
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 large egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg
- In a food processor combine the first six ingredients. Pulse so that you can control the size of the ingredients; I like my chunky.
- Into a bowl, combine the chopped ingredients with the remaining six ingredients (like making a meatloaf)
- You can use your hands and squeeze the mixture until it holds together into a medium size ball. Press into patties. If patty doesn't hold together you have to adjust moistening by adding a teaspoon of liquid (vegetable juice or oil or vegetable broth) until mixture holds together. Spray grill with a non-stick spray.
- Patty cooks within minutes on each side.
- *If you are frying, take a patty, and dip into beaten egg, coat in breadcrumbs and fry.