Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This is a delicious recipe that tastes best if done on the outside grill (but is easily adaptable to the oven and stovetop). It was inspired by a similar recipe of Bobby Flays which I tweaked. Goes great with your favorite outdoor cookout!
- 4 lbs new potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 1 lb smoked bacon
- 1 large vidalia onion (or other sweet onion)
- 1⁄4 cup red wine vinegar, plus
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup blue cheese, crumbled
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- Preheat Grill.
- Cook new potatoes in boiling water until almost done but still firm; drain and cut in halves; let cool for a few minutes.
- Gently toss potatoes with 1/4 cup olive oil; season with salt & pepper.
- Grill potatoes cut side down(approximately 3 minutes); turn and grill another 3 minutes.
- Place potatoes in large bowl; set aside.
- Place a large iron skillet on the grill; add the bacon and cook until done and crisp; remove bacon from skillet and drain on paper towels.When cool, crumble bacon. (Reserve 2 Tablespoons bacon grease in skillet).
- Add the onion to the skillet and cook until soft (approximately 5 minutes).
- Add 1/4 cup olive oil, vinegar and sugar and cook until sugar dissolves.
- Pour onion mixture over the potatoes; add crumbled bacon and parsley and gently toss.
- Adjust seasonings; sprinkle with crumbled blue cheese.
I loved the flavor but the potatoes were still crunchy even though I cooked them longer than stated. Served them with Blue Cheese Pepper Steak Wraps.
I happened across Bobbie Flay's recipe on another site and I ended up making the same mod that you did because I didn't have white wine vinegar. I also didn't have the parsley so I just did without. It was delish! At first, the blue cheese comes across really strong so it's better for this to chill for a bit. I imagine that the leftovers will be even better tomorrow.